Friday, September 7, 2007

Karita Hummer's Silver Pen award for "Why are you here? Let John and Elizabeth know...and everyone else!" by Ellinorianne



Karita Hummer's Silver Pen Award


Reposted from John Edwards Blog site:

Why are you here? Let John and Elizabeth know...and everyone else!
in Action
9/02/2007 at 1:49 PM EST
I sincerely want to know why people are here and how the current Administration and policies have affected you directly or indirectly.
Has something happened to you that has made you seek out more about this campaign?
What is your greatest wish or your ideas that mean a lot to you? What do you want to see happen?
Here is my story and just some of the things I hope for...
I am a lifelong Democrat and PROUD liberal. I joined my first campaign with a fairly unknown Governor from Ak who was going to shake things up!
I still don't regret voting for Bill Clinton twice and I don't regret voting for Democratic candidates for the last four Presidential Elections.
Right now, I have the things that I think many take for granted. I have a home; we work, have health insurance and do relatively well.
But, I have friends who do not have health insurance (a friend of ours is a teacher and it was so stressful it started to affect her health, she quit because they would not allow her a leave of absence. Her husband is a music teacher and he doesn't have health insurance and of course Cobra is too expensive.)
My husband is a musician and this is the case for a lot of his friends, their wives hold down jobs so they can have health insurance.
I want the things that John Edwards wants for us because I know that there are many who don't have what I have. And there are even more who take these things for granted, so why change?
But it's not good enough, everyone should have healthcare. Everyone who works a job should earn enough to support a family above the poverty level. Corporations should pay their fair share of taxes, stop shipping jobs out of this country, hiding their money in foreign banks to avoid taxes (when can I do that?) and sharing their profits with their employees in the form of safe pensions and secure 401(k)'s and decent wages.
The Government should be giving tax breaks for the right reasons, such as helping companies shifting their non sustainable products (trees for paper, etc), to sustainable goods (HEMP for paper). Bringing factories back to the US with livable wages for their workers and safety guidelines that are fair. People make more; they can afford the goods made in this country!
Higher education should be available to all so we can keep up with the rest of the world and if people have no desire to go to a four year college, have the means for them to intern with professionals etc.
I hope our national parks and forests are protected to the point that I don't have to worry that my grandchildren may never stand at the foot of a Giant Sequoia and see what wonders the earth has for us.
And when I start to think of all the children and women who die every day because of starvation and disease, I wish I could do something for each of them. Poverty affects women the most in the world and that means children. How can we let this happen?
Yes, I can go on and on and I feel very passionately about these things. I sometimes worry about it too much.
I asked some people on a message board if it was silly that I prayed every night that John Edwards wins this nomination and they all quite firmly said NO! (I even feel a bit naive for even admitting this, but I want to believe with my whole being that this is someone who will change things as President).
What do you pray for and why?

Why I am here.

I am here and can't pull myself away, really, because I am saddened beyond compare at what has happened to our country over the last seven years, and I believe that John Edwards gives us the most hope for returning our country to a better course, actually reviving it, and, indeed, for transforming it.
First off, I know that John Edwards will be stalwart in defending our Constitution and seeing our freedoms and rights fairly applied to all. He understands our proper role in the world and will restore our moral leadership. He knows first hand (from his Vice Presidential candidacy) how elections have been taken from us through the most horrible of election anomalies, disenfranchisements, vote discrepancies, caging and suppression and he will fight for electoral justice - and I think he really wanted to in 2004.
But from that foundation of understanding justice in all dimensions, I see a man who truly comprehends the human condition, wants and needs and potential - and he cares. He is extraordinarily empathic. He is impelled by a strong internal moral core that guides him and he is resonant with the needs of us all.
I believe in John Edwaards' vision and his program: Turning the Lobbyists out (like the old money changers), Economic justice for all (North, South, East, West, Rural, Urban), strengthening unions as a bulwark for growing the middle class, eliminating poverty in America and the world, environmental stewardship, demanding corporate responsibility, reforming the Democratic Party, treating veterans and their families with decency and proper benefits, adequate health care for all and parity for many conditions, moral leadership in the world, and foreign policy based on dignity, justice, diplomacy, and compassion.
He is one of the most thoughtful and thorough going candidates I have ever had the privilege to support, and I give my support to him wholeheartedly. Everyday, I just feel grateful to him that he is running and gives us so much hope for a better day for America.
Karita Hummer
San Jose, CA
by Karita Hummer (KaritaHummer@therapyplus.us, Therapy Plus)
on 9/02/2007 at 1:17 AM EST [Flag this Post]
[ Reply to This ]


p.s. Would you accept my nomination (none / 0)

for my Karita Hummer's Silver Pen Award, which means if you do, I will repost your piece above and perhaps my response to my own blogspot site,
http://passionateprogressivepatriot.blog spot.com/
Thank you,
Karita Hummer
San Jose, CA


Yes (none / 0)

I would be very glad to accpet :) Thank you.
by Ellinorianne (ellinorianne@hotmail.com)

Thank you so much. (none / 0)
I will announce my silver pen award and repost your article on my blogspot site:
http://passionateprogressivepatriot.blog spot.com/
This is much appreciated. I thought your post was very creative and will be a wonderful resource for us all.
Karita Hummer
by Karita Hummer (KaritaHummer@therapyplus.us, Therapy Plus)
on 9/02/2007 at 2:08 PM EST [Flag this Post]


Let me count the reasons (none / 1)

I first have to say I looked at all of the candidates and I was disappointed. I remember asking myself why would anyone want to run for president and have nothing to say? I could only think they must be satisfied with the way things are - I am not. It wasn't long before I saw John Edwards on shows like Meet the Press and Face the Nation answering the hard questions not just smiling for cameras.
I would have to say that it was his health care plan that brought me to this site for the first time. After hearing him speak about it, I came here to find out more. I was impressed with the depth of his plan. I know so many people without health care - people who are risking their life because they can't afford care. I was asking myself why is my coverage so much better than others in my family when we earn comparable wages. Also, my children were at the age when they were no longer covered on my policy and yet a lot of first jobs don't offer health care benefits. What will they do?
I think our own country has been neglected these past years due to the amount of time and money poured into Iraq. I want someone who cares about what is happening here. John Edwards' support of unions and the working class are what is needed to get our own country back on track. I like his dedication to end poverty. We need to help our young people get to college and get an education.
I also like John Edwards' attitude that it will take all of us working together to bring about the changes that are needed. I think it is a message of unity - something else that has been lacking in this country for some time. He doesn't pretend to have all of the answers or that he can solve all of our concerns on his own. I do believe there are two Americans and I'm not naive enough to think that John Edwards lives the same life I do but I think he spends a majority of his time with people just like me. He seems to have a foot in each America - who better to understand how to bring us all together somewhere in the middle and to one America?

by betterN08
on 9/02/2007 at 9:45 AM EST [Flag this Post]


Would you agree to a repost of your reply? (none / 0)

I am reposting Ellinorianne's post and would appreciate the opportunity to share some of the responses.
Would you agree to have yours included?
Repost to be in my blogspot: http://passionateprogressivepatriot.blog spot.com/
Thank you for your consideration.
Karita Hummer
by Karita Hummer (KaritaHummer@therapyplus.us, Therapy Plus)
on 9/02/2007 at 5:11 PM EST [Flag this Post]


Sure Karita - Feel free to repost (none / 0)

by betterN08
on 9/02/2007 at 9:39 PM EST [Flag this Post]


Why am I here? (none / 0)

Where is Here? What exsctly is "HERE"? On planet Earth? In America? Working on the campaign? (Good question, and I'll try and answer it briefly) Well, I am here because I know life is good. There are some people who do not know how to lead a country in the right direction. SO, I am here to help direct a new day for a better world to live in. There are vast reasons for my presence in this campaign. My commitment to my country. My love for mankind. My love for dreams coming true. That is why I am here. I know what it is to work and see your dreams come true. It doesn't happen because someone else does this dreaming and work for me. My dreams come true because I make them come true. I believe in other people for their own potential as well. It may be a message JFK said "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country." This is very powerful and important statement. It always will be. Inspiration is what John Edwards has given me, and I am not disappointed at all. I've seen some of the people now who are supporting him first hand, and I am overwhelmed with the real obligation I hear in not only their voices, but I feel it in their purpose. It is a feeling from my heart that I can make things better by helping a man follow his dream. This is what life is about for me.
by 1Belle101
on 9/02/2007 at 4:25 PM EST [Flag this Post]
[ Reply to This | ]


Would you agree to a repost of your reply? (none / 0)

I am reposting Ellinorianne's post and would appreciate the opportunity to share some of the responses.
Would you agree to have yours included?
Thank you,
Karita Hummer
by Karita Hummer (KaritaHummer@therapyplus.us, Therapy Plus)
on 9/02/2007 at 5:04 PM EST [Flag this Post]
[ Reply to This ]


Repost to be in my blogspot. (none / 0)

Sorry, I didn't say where I would be reposting the original piece and the responses: it will be at http://passionateprogressivepatriot.blog spot.com/
Thank you for your consideration.
Karita Hummer
by Karita Hummer (KaritaHummer@therapyplus.us, Therapy Plus)
on 9/02/2007 at 5:06 PM EST [Flag this Post]
[ Parent | Reply to This ]


It's OK with me. (none / 0)

Belle
by 1Belle101
on 9/02/2007 at 5:09 PM EST [Flag this Post]

No comments: