Sunday, March 14, 2010

The beauty and glory of Western Pennsylvania in the Spring!



Is there any place more beautiful than western Pennsylvania in the Spring?

I went out this sunny spring morning here in C
alifornia to check on my tulips, beginning to bud.

The cool crisp air of this sunny morning here reminded me of Easter in my hometown of Carnegie, PA

I remembered how every Easter Day, on my way to Church, I would go down a long walkway from our home high on the hill, walking through a pathway of Irises and many other flowers, all decked out in my Easter finery, new every year, a little girl in a finely made dress and coat (navy wool, with a beautiful little cape), a fine straw hat, purchased in a wonderful department store in Pittsburgh, PA with a blue, velvet ribbon (to match the coat), bedecked with flowers, with new patent leather shoes and little purse to match, and, oh yes, always, new, white, gloves.

I felt utterly nostalgic for the beauty and generosity of that time. Grateful to my Mother who did all the beautiful sewing and shopping with me for the occasion, and, of course, to my father who was so admiring, and who made our beautiful home on the hill possible. (It was a lovely Chateauesque mansion we lived in perched high on a hill in Carnegie, PA, where in keeping with Sicilian traditions, my father and his two brothers lived with their families.)

And Easter Sunday was so special in our Italian parish church, gloriously bedecked in Lilies. I felt just like a princess, running home, then, to Easter baskets, filled with hard boiled colored eggs my brother and I had dyed the day before and just a little bit of chocolate (probabbly a Hershey Bar, put in by my Dad.) And to the lamb dinner around the family's beautiful dining room table, with a Sicilian Cassata - all fluff, custard, rum soaked sponge cake and canned fruits -my Mother had prepared for our dessert.

Yes, nostalgic for Easter in Carnegie, PA. and for Western Pennsylvania.

Karita Hummer
This Passionate Progressive Patriot will always be a Pennsylvania girl!

No comments: