Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Cabinet Choices do say a lot

Cross-posted from Progressive Blue: http://www.eenrblog.com/showDiary.do?diaryId=3207

Cabinet Choices do say a lot

by: Karita Hummer

Wed Dec 03, 2008 at 20:53:44 PM EST

[edit diary]
Obama has said vision begins with him and his team will implement it. This consoles me a little, but not a lot. He can't be everywhere at all times, and I should think we would want his Secretaries to be initiating policy recommendations for him to undertake. He simply can't know everything, nor initiate everything. That would be an impossible job.

Whenever I have hired someone, I have looked for people who have shared my passion and vision.

Saying this, I hope President-Elect Obama will still consider the idea of a Poverty Czar, to deal with global and domestic poverty, and I suggest that person be John Edwards. Then, I think we would have a true Unity Cabinet, with all of them, strong, with their own ideas, implementing a broad vision under the direction of a strong president able to integrate the best ideas of all of them.

That means who Obama selects matters.

If Obama does not choose to have a Poverty Czar, or name Edwards to it, then I would hope as a bare minimum, he would select John Edwards as Secretary of Labor and Robert F. Kennedy as Secretary of Interior or Secretary of Energy. Passion should count most in the selection of a Candidate for the Cabinet. John Edwards and Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. have the kind of passionate commitment that would send a strong signal to the country about the place of workers and environment in the Administration's priorities.

Progressive Heroes should matter!

Karita Hummer

Karita Hummer :: Cabinet Choices do say a lot

No comments: